What is snoring?
Snoring is a result of the airway being partially blocked, causing air to pass through the airway faster, this in turn causes the soft tissues of the uvula and soft palate to vibrate. This creates the sound we know as snoring.
What are the causes of snoring?
Snoring can occur when the airway becomes partially blocked during sleep. This may occur more frequently when:
- You sleep on your back
- You are overweight
- You have a large neck size
- The tongue falls back into the throat
- The tonsils and/or adenoids are large
- You mouth breath during sleep
- You are overly tired
- You eat or drink alcohol too late at night
- You have a cold or are congested
Snoring may increase:
- As you get older
- If you are a male
- After menopause
- If you have a small airway (may be genetic)